Friday, May 13, 2011

Genesis 29

Lunchtime spent with God and coffee is among my favorite things. But today I had a lot on my mind. I was really asking God for some assurance and affirmation. On my journey through Genesis I stumbled on the story of Jacob and Rachel. Here's the deal:

Jacob moves out to find himself a wife, when he gets to his uncles town. He sees his cousin Rachel and immediately falls to his face, weeping, because he loves her. He promises his uncle that he'll do anything, anything, to have Rachel's hand in marriage. Well the uncle takes advantage of this offer and agrees to give her away if Jacob works the land for seven years.
"So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her." Gen. 29:20
The story goes on that at the end of those seven years, the uncle tricks Jacob into marrying the less desirable sister--Leah. But Jacob will not give up, and works ANOTHER seven years to marry Rachel.

Wait... what?

Fourteen years. Thats how long it took. Now don't get me wrong, I realize I'm probably not going to find that kind of man anytime soon, but it does give me hope. One day I will find a boy who will sacrifice for me, who will be patient in waiting, who will pay the price to have my heart. And thats love.

No comments:

Post a Comment