Tuesday, April 29, 2014

community

So often I feel that as believers we talk about what community looks like among others that love Jesus. I find myself stuck in a "Christian bubble" that we talk about but can't seem to actually burst. God's outlined what the capital C Church is supposed to look like in Acts 2:
"They committed themselves to the teaching of the apostles, life together, common meals, and prayers. Everyone around was in awe...And all the believers lived in a wonderful harmony, holding everything in common. They sold whatever they owned and pooled their resources so that each person's need was met. They followed a daily discipline of worship followed by meals, each one a celebration, exuberant and joyful, as they praised God. People liked what they saw, and every day their number grew as God added those who were saved." 42-47 (MSG)
Generally as Jesus lovers in the college world (especially in the South) we prioritize spending most of our time with each other. Thats alright. These are formative years; the years we figure out who we are and who we want to be and where we want to go and what we want to do and how we want to impress ourselves on the World.

But we'd be lying to ourselves if we thought that believing in Christ meant being part of an exclusive club.

This is where we (Notice I said we. As in me.) fail many times in the mission field of life. We get so caught up going to our Bible studies and our small groups and our ministry meetings and being intentional with each other that we forget to be in the World.

As a Young Life leader, its my mission to be "in the World" of my high school. Almost everything I've learned about what it looks like to be in community with unbelievers I've learned from doing Young Life ministry. How can I translate what high school community looks like to college community?

In Romans 2:17-24 Paul warns us to examine what our life says about God to unbelievers. Jesus preached that our lives look markedly different from the rest of the world's. Daniel demonstrated what it looks like to love the Lord while appealing to culture while he was in the courts of King Nebuchadnezzar by opting for a vegan diet rather than lavish feasts.

I will be the first to say that I suck at living differently than unbelievers in most ways, whether thats in my speech or dating relationships or the way I treat my roommates. I'm actually the worst. The best news is that we aren't called to be perfect. We're called to be perfected in the sacrifice of Jesus.

I also think that we'd be lying if we thought that the way to love unbelievers best was to become perfect people before becoming friends with them. The beauty of community with other humans is that we share in our shortcomings, and the only advantage believers have is God's unending grace. Its our duty to share that.

Is it ok to sin? Duh no. Is it ok to screw up in order to run back into your Father's open arms? We are only human.

Be where your friends are; honor Him when you're with them; remember you don't need to save them but only love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment